Legion Logo

Royal Canadian Legion
Branch 94

205 Empire, Greenfield Park,
Québec, Canada
J4V 1T9
450-466-0308
www.legion94.ca


 

History

 

 

Greenfield Park Royal Canadian Legion

The Birth Of Branch 94


In presenting a short history of Branch #94, one must keep within the confines of the general growth of the branch within the community and overlook the tireless efforts of many individual members.

The town of Greenfield Park received its charter in 1911.

Three years later World War I was declared. Between 1914 and 1918, forty percent of the town's population left to fight for a free world. During the following twenty-one years of peace, the Ex- Servicemen’s Club of Greenfield Park was formed and became active in the field of veterans' welfare.

Then came World War II and again Greenfield Park answered the call. In the archives of the town are testimonials signed by war time Prime Minister, the late Honourable W.L. MacKenzie and his Defence Minister, the late Honourable J.L. Ralston stating that Greenfield Park, on a per capita basis, gave the greatest number of men and women to our country's forces than any other community in Canada.

This was a fitting background for a branch in our municipality. In October 1943, the Secretary of the town, Ernie Nightingale, received a letter from our late Comrade, Dave Taggart, who at the time was Chairman, Branch Relations Committee, Montreal District, requesting a meeting with the town officials for the purpose of organizing a local branch of the Legion. After several meetings with Pro Mayor, Bill Nelan, it happened; on November 26, 1943 the Greenfield Park branch was born.
 

 
Branch Highlights


DATE
 


DESCRIPTION
 

Nov. 26, 1943
Birth of Branch 94
 
Sept. 3, 1945
Branch colors were consecrated
 
1949
The first sod was turned at the present site of branch 94 by late Comrade, then President, Harry Wells.
 
1958
Due to increasing membership, the first sod was turned for the extension to the existing building by Lt. Col. Pierre Sevigny, M.P. for Longueuil and Deputy Minister of Defence.
 
Mar. 26, 1961
Memorial Plaque, in memory of our fallen comrades was unveiled in the Greenfield Park Community Hall by Silver Cross Mother, Mrs. T.D. Anyon.
 
Oct. 8, 1961
Our old colors were retired and new colors consecrated in a service at St. Paul's Church.
 
Sept. 11, 1965
Through a branch and town effort, the War Memorial in front of the town hall was unveiled by Silver Cross Mother, Mrs. F.C. Philp.
 
Sept. 13, 1967
A Past Presidents Plaque was unveiled and located in the lounge entrance.
 
1968
Renovation of our main building
 
Oct. 1995
Installation of the 50th Commemoration Plaque of Allied Invasion located on a large stone at the outdoor entrance to the lounge.
Oct. 2000
Our branch goes online with a web site.
 
 
MEMBERSHIP
We have grown from the original 15 members to over 500 members.
 

LADIES AUXILLIARY


No legion is complete without the Ladies Auxilliary. Throughout the years, our branch has been blessed with a group of devoted and well organized ladies who have on so many occasions, given of their time to assist the branch in so many ways.
 


OUR LOUNGE

For those not familiar with our branch, the lounge bears the name DAVID M. TAGGART LOUNGE in memory of Comrade Dave.
 

EARLY YEARS

The early years were spent leasing space in the old town hall. With membership increasing, we planned and we saved, and in 1949, the building project was started.
 

Thanks to everyone involved; special thanks to Comrade. G. (Buck) Wells - R.C.N.V.R. V-49748, for supplying the information that was required to create this web page. This page is a compilation of all of the information supplied.

 

  
 
   
   
   
   
   
Legion Logo
Branch Logo

 

Home   About Us    History   Past Presidents   Last Post    Ladies Auxiliary    Hall Rental    Membership   Coverall   Map  

© Copyright 2000-2014